If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what some of the best golf irons ever made are then we’d recommend the TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set.
Every golfer wants the clubs that can give you confidence and save strokes during a round. Some of the best golf irons ever can be the answer to the separation you are looking for. There are many types of irons on the market that can help build your bag and improve your game.
Here are the six iron sets we’ll be reviewing
Below are some of the best golf irons ever made, along with the pros and cons of these products.
TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set
The TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set gives you the choice of hand orientation, shaft material, flex, and club configuration. You can select a graphite or steel shaft and a flex of regular, stiff, or senior.
These irons use TaylorMade’s most flexible speed pocket design that helps expand the area of the club face for extra forgiveness. You will find your swing transferring more energy through the ball for increased speed and distance.
Each iron’s club head is injected with ultra-light, urethane speed foam that promotes an enhanced feel and sound. The club heads also feature tungsten weighting that assists with lower CG (center of gravity) and higher launches.
The edges of the clubs are thin to help improve the speed and angle of your shots. They also feature progressive I.C.T. (inverted cone technology) that’s designed to improve consistency and increase ball speed on off-center hits.
- Tungsten weighting offers lower CG and higher launches.
- Features ultra-light, urethane speed foam.
- Inverted cone technology increases consistency and ball speed on off-center hits.
- Very popular, fully customizable golf irons.
- Features TaylorMade’s most flexible speed pocket.
- Consists of a forged, hollow body construction.
- Not as forgiving to beginner golfers.
- Not cost-effective.
TaylorMade Golf M6 Iron Set
The TaylorMade Golf M6 Iron Set lets you choose hand orientation, shaft material, club flex, and configuration. You can select a graphite or steel shaft and regular or senior flex.
The design includes a new 360 degree fluted hosel that produces an ultra-low CG (center of gravity). They also feature a thinner club face with inverted cone technology for a compact feel and consistent ball speed.
The M6 irons offer a new bridged design with an enhanced speed pocket for more ball speed than ever before. A HYBRAR compression damper also decreases the vibrations from impact. These upgrades can assist with shots that are too low on the club face. They offer solid forgiveness which makes them great for midrange to high handicappers.
- Features a thinner club face.
- Uses a bridged design and speed pocket for perfect shots anywhere on the club face.
- Customize the clubs to your needs.
- Offers high forgiveness for midrange to high handicappers.
- Enhanced fluted hosel produces ultra-low CG.
- Allows higher speeds and longer distances.
- Set does not come with a sand wedge option.
- Not cost-effective.
Callaway Women’s Golf Rogue X Iron And Hybrid Set
The Callaway Women’s Golf Rogue X Iron And Hybrid Set lets you select hand orientation, shaft material, flex, and club configuration. You have the option of buying just the iron set or a combination set including a four and five hybrid. These clubs feature other flex options which are, regular, light, and stiff.
They come with a 360 face cup to help lift the ball and offer more distance. The club head provides MIM’d (metal injection molded) internal standing waves for faster ball flights and control. Enhanced, tungsten weights on the head also assist in striking your ball with twice the force of steel behind each backswing.
The thinner club face uses a urethane microsphere to minimize vibration and improve sound quality. These Callaways are longer, stronger, and lighter than many other clubs on the market.
- Design is lighter and more aerodynamic.
- Club face has low flex for higher ball speeds.
- Tungsten weights provide extra force behind each swing.
- Includes a set of irons and hybrids.
- Fully customizable set.
- Offers different flex choices including, ladies, regular, light, and stiff.
- Not-cost effective for some golfers.
- Material is softer, which can leave ball imprints on the club face.
Cleveland Golf Launcher UHX Irons
The Cleveland Golf Launcher UHX Irons let you completely customize your set. You can choose hand orientation and shaft materials of steel or graphite. You can also configure the degree of flex which is regular, senior, or stiff, and club configuration as 4-PW, or 4-PW, AW.
The golf irons feature a hollow construction with a HT1770M steel face to help deliver explosive ball speeds and longer distances. They also consist of a V-shaped sole that improves turf interaction and allows consistent force with every swing.
Each iron comes with tour zip grooves and laser milling on the club face. This design allows maximum spin and control for all levels of golfers.
- Features a hollow design for improved speed and sound.
- Popular, high-quality set of irons.
- V-shaped sole promotes better turf interaction.
- Fully customizable golf set.
- Consists of a high strength, HT1770M steel face for increased ball speed.
- Club face has tour zip grooves and laser milling.
- May be too light for some golfers.
- Not cost-effective.
Callaway Golf MAVRIK Max Irons
The Callaway Golf MAVRIK Max Irons let you select hand orientation, shaft material, flex, and club configuration. There is a list of 13 different configurations you can select from with various price ranges.
For the first time, Callaway is using artificial intelligence in these clubs. The club face is uniquely designed for each degree of loft which presents a significant boost in ball speed.
Custom tungsten-infused weights in each club head offer twice the force of steel behind each backswing. And, a 360 flash face cup also provides exceptional precision and more forgiveness.
Callaway produced three different MAVRIK designs with specific capabilities: the Standard, the Max, and the Pro.
- Tungsten-infused weights promote extra force behind each swing.
- Features the newest next-generation technology.
- Club face uses the newest design of artificial intelligence.
- 13 different club configurations available.
- Completely customizable irons.
- MAVRIK standard, max, and pro available.
- Not cost-effective.
TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons
The TaylorMade SIM MAX Irons give you the options of hand orientation, shaft material, flex, and club configuration. These clubs feature a regular, stiff, or senior flex and four different types of configurations.
The irons are low-profile with a 17% thinner club face than previous generations. Progressive I.C.T. (inverted cone technology) is also uniquely positioned on each club face for a larger sweet spot and more forgiveness.
These TaylorMade clubs come with speed bridge technology combined with a thru-slot speed pocket. Both of these factors offer maximum ball speed while maintaining control. The SIM MAX design is one of TaylorMade’s best specialty clubs that offers complete control on every shot.
- Completely customizable golf irons.
- Speed bridge combined with a thru-slot pocket offers maximum ball speed and control.
- Features 17% thinner club face.
- Progressive I.C.T. provides a larger sweet spot and more forgiveness.
- ECHO damping system provides a forged-like feel.
- Great irons for all levels of golfers.
- Club heads may be too firm for some golfers.
- Not-cost effective irons.
When it comes to the best golf irons ever made, your skillset will determine what works for you. Out of all the clubs above, our choice of the best golf irons is the TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set.
The TaylorMade Golf P790 Iron Set lets you maximize the speed of your ball while maintaining control. This set’s technology is truly next level, which is why it’s one of the most popular iron sets on the market.
What are the main features of the best golf irons ever made?
The first step is understanding the different sets you can buy. There are long irons (2, 3, and 4), mid-irons (5,6, and 7), and short irons (8, 9, and a wedge). Most of the time, the irons in your bag should be the clubs you have the most confidence in.
Each club should be within four degrees of loft, starting with the lowest iron number up to a wedge. With every degree of loft, you will have about 12 to 14 yards of difference with variations in flexibility.
Shaft And Flex
The type of shaft and flex your irons have will affect the ball speed and force behind every swing. Some of the best golf irons ever have newer technology to handle a club’s flex during a downward swing. Your swing speed, range of motion, and skill level are common factors for choosing a degree of flex. The main types of flex include regular, senior, ladies, stiff, or extra stiff.
There are a few different styles of irons on the market. Some are more traditional, but others are not, such as hybrids which are changing the game with newer technology. These are becoming more popular as the “best of both worlds” clubs.
Cavity backed irons are clubs that have a hollow rear club head. This provides golfers with a measure of forgiveness when hitting the ball off the center of the club. The most forgiving irons in golf are usually cavity-backed clubs.
Muscle-backed blades are better for more advanced golfers. They come with a full back to the club head which adds extra force to your ball strikes. It can also provide the control that cavity-backed clubs don’t always achieve, but they require precision and consistency to get results.
Hybrid golf clubs are larger and come with sweet spots that allow you to hit shots other irons cannot achieve. They are not always allowable replacements on some golf courses, so you should always check the course guidelines and make sure they meet regulations.